Monday, April 26, 2010

Storms of Spring

So sleeping all day is getting really old, I think it is a symptom of the Narcolepsy, or FMS, either way I wasn’t this way until I was diagnosed with FMS!!! I’m desperately trying to figure out how to get myself out of this cycle of sleeping all day & being up all night, but I really think that it is what my body naturally wants to do, which is kind of scary. I feel like I should be a vampire, dress all in black and only come out when the sun isn’t shining...the problem is, when the sun is shining is my favorite time so I really want to break out of this cycle...or move to Australia!
********************
Anyway, the storms of spring aren’t helping me out very much either. Even if I wanted to try something to break out of my sleep cycle, last night wouldn’t have been the time because the first major storms of spring sprang through the southeast. It was really scary to be watching SNL and have the weatherman bust in telling me that there are multiple tornadoes on the ground about 2 and a half hours away. It was such a weird and terrifying feeling. Either way, my little doggie was horrified until about 4 am, when it finally stopped storming.
********************
It’s the strangest thing, he (Bailey, my dog that is) was completely fine with storms until he was about 5 and then he became like all those other dogs I’ve seen, shaking and hiding. Although his hiding always has to be on either my dad’s lap or with me, interesting isn’t it. Those are the two places he feels most safe. Well last night I was up with him all night. I did some research about dogs that are scared of storms and found that they really do stop shaking, at least 80% of the their shaking, if they’re covered up by a sheet or blanket. I guess it stops static electricity, which is what makes them shake in the first place. So Bailey & I cuddled all night, I just held him under the covers & let him sleep like a human (he has his own little pillow & blankie, I know, ridiculous) and it comforts him & makes him not so terrified during the storms. It worked last night. The only downfall, I was so worried about him (& possibly the tornadoes that got as close as two hours away) that I didn’t sleep all night. Oh well, he’s worth it.
********************
Of course then I slept all day, woke up at 6 pm. Had dinner with my parents, where it took me 45 minutes to explain to them what the t.v. show Glee is all about and that their nephew (my cousin) had auditioned for a part in the show earlier today. I said Glee is a Fox TV show based on a show choir and they thought it was like American Idol with choirs. Took 15 minutes to get them to understand that it was actually a tv show and not a reality show. The whole conversation started by me telling them that my cousin, Devlin, auditioned for the show 2 hours prior. They couldn’t understand how I could possibly know that Devlin had just auditioned for this show in Los Angeles when we’re in this tiny mountain town, all I had to say was "twitter," and they backed off a little, although we still had to discuss twitter for 10 minutes, with nothing sinking in, even though this is about the 5th time I’ve tried to explain it. Then I continued my explanation of Glee, that it was based on a show choir...but when my father just couldn’t get the "show choir" concept, even though I was really seriously involved in a show choir all through high school, I started losing interest. I was doing all of this all while having level 7 out of 10 pain because I hadn’t even taken any medicine yet and I had a splitting headache from allergies, which are insane down here in the south. When I was so frustrated I just stopped talking about it, my parents started talking amongst themselves, my mom saying, "George, we should watch Glee so we’re ready when Devlin is on it." My dad responded with a grunt, which means "Ok." So I realized that they pretty much got it, not twitter, but Glee. Then my mom asked me when Glee is on, when I told them it was on at the same time as NCIS, they said, "Well I guess we can’t watch it then." (Sorry Devlin!) I said, "You could always DVR it." When my mom asked how you do that, I said, "No way, I’ll have to explain that one tomorrow! (That was in absolutely no way a dig on NCIS, it is one of my favorite shows, just call me Mrs. Weatherly!!!)
********************
I know, rough day, but you try explaining something so easy to understand for 45 minutes!!! Sometimes I feel like I’m living in a Seinfeld episode or that I’m Larry David’s long lost daughter! And this has been not just one day of my life, but many, soooooooo many......
********************
Anyway, watched Kendra, Chelsey Lately and saw the movie Win a Date with Tad Hamilton for the first time, wrote this post and I’ll probably read a bunch of other blog posts on FMS. I also feel like continuing my reading of the amazing poetry of William Butler Yeats.
********************
On my 1 to 10 Scale of Tolerable Days, (1 being unbearable and 10 being peaceful and fun) I guess today was a: 5, tolerable.
********************
Here’s to you & me, pain free!
MZ

No comments:

Post a Comment